Having recently left a job I find myself in the rare position of not knowing what to do next, or whether there’s anything out there I want to do (or even don’t want to do). I should really knuckle down and sort out some pitches right? Right!
I like that episode of The Simpsons where Bart dreams of becoming a drifter and signs up for clinical trials. I actually enquired about a clinical trial this morning – where they inject you or make you swallow tablets and observe you for a few days then give you loads of cash – but they don’t take vegetarians. Discrimination! Maybe it’s for the best – Rory says I’m a bit old for clinical trials.
Oh well, not to worry. Today I’m not going to worry; instead I’m going on a bracing walk along the Southbank, and I might even go ice-skating. Whooooosh…
By the way – I don’t know what this blog should be. I’ll have a think about that. I just wrote this and thought, “am I going to spill my guts out every day?” and the answer is no. ‘Cos that’s not that interesting is it? This is just a flag in the sand really. Is “flag in the sand” an expression or am I mixing my metaphors? Indecision clouds my vision…
1. Ladyhawke – Anxiety
2. Lana Del Rey – Born To Die
3. David Byrne and St Vincent – Love This Giant
4. Sebastien Tellier – My God Is Blue
5. Melody’s Echo Chamber – Melody’s Echo Chamber
6. Lissy Trullie – Lissy Trullie
7. The Darkness – Hot Cakes
8. Jef Barbara – Contamination
9. Jherek Bischoff – Composed
10. LostAlone – I’m A UFO In This City
11. Andrew Bird – Break It Yourself
12. Benjamin Schoos – China Man vs China Girl
13. Calexico – Algiers
14. Matthew E. White – Big Inner
15. Angel Haze – Reservation EP
16. The Wedding Present – Valentina
17. Grimes – Visions
18. Liars – WIXIW
19. Air – Le Voyage Dans La Lune
20. Dan Deacon – America
1. Savages – Husbands
2. Sebastien Tellier – Cochon Ville
3. The Darkness – Concrete
4. King Krule – Rock Bottom
5. MIA – Bad Girls
6. Benjamin Schoos ft Laetitia Sadier – Je Ne Vois Que Vous
7. Angel Haze – Werkin’ Girls
8. Melody’s Echo Chamber – I Follow You
9. Gaz Coombes – Simulator
10. Charlotte Gainsbourg – Terrible Angels
11. Jef Barbara – Wild Boys
12. Ladyhawke – Sunday Drive
13. Andrew Bird – Eyeoneye
14. Akira the Don ft Gruff Rhys – Broke
15. Marina and the Diamonds – Primadonna
16. The Rolling Stones – Doom and Gloom
17. Lissy Trullie – Madeleine
18. Charli XCX – Nuclear Seasons
19. Future of the Left – Failed Olympic Bid
20. Zebra and Snake – Now and Forever
Well I’ve not updated this for a while. I’d like to pretend I’ve been busy so, you know, I’ve been busy.
To address the sloth and prove I’m turning over a new leaf I’m testing some Champix at this address:
This is probably going to take three months or something, if I don’t top myself first.
Forgive the self-referential title, but when they are said they don’t half sound similar. It’s a sign! A sign of what I’m not sure. Maybe it’s a road sign. Well one of them is.
I’ve been here over a week and I still don’t want to leave, even if my local boulangerie proprietor has buggered off on holiday.
I’m starting to enjoy the little conversations I’m having here, no matter how insignificant (they’re significant to me). When people speak back to me I don’t freeze in fear anymore. I still don’t know what they’re saying, but I’m more resolute in my ignorance.
A guy in a cafe laughed at my joke the other day. My first French joke. It wasn’t a good joke and doesn’t bear repeating.
This morning I went for a run and then went to another bar/cafe where the bartender was sat with the paper looking a little sorry for himself. I approached and he took his sunglasses off. I have dramatically reconstructed our tete-a-tete below. Feel free to comment below if you’re feeling pedantic and fancy correcting my grammar.
Me: Bonjour monsieur. Ca va?
Barman: Ca va.
Est-ce que vous faire le cafe?
Barman: Oui. Grande ou petite?
Me: Ummmmm, grande si vous plait.
Barman starts making coffee.
Me: Mais monsieur, j’ai besoin d’une cigarette avec mon cafe.
Me: Monsieur, puis-je acheter une cigarette de vous?
Barman looks grumpy. He reaches above his head and pulls down a packet, opens them and gives me one. I offer him money but he doesn’t accept. I take my coffee and sit outside. He walks around the bar and sits back down with the paper.
Me: Monsieur? Feu? Je n’ai pas le feu.
Barman gets up, looking pissed off. Walks slowly around the bar, picks up a lighter, walks out of the bar and back to the pavement lighting my cigarette.
Me: Merci beaucoup monsieur. Vous-etes un bon homme.
Barman grunts and goes back to his paper.
I finish my coffee.
Me: Jusqu’à demain monsieur.
If you’re wondering, I did leave a tip. I know what you’re thinking, these exchanges are getting deep!